- Date: 2005 – 2009.
- Developed by Lear Corporation.
- Customers: Nissan, Renault, BMW and Mitsubishi.
- Creators: Raúl Bartolomé Castro and many others.
- Raúl’s contribution: senior hardware engineer. Responsible of electronic design, electronic component selection, schematic design, PCB supervision and review, EMC review, DFMEA, FTA, etc.
- Market: automotive / Tier 1 supplier.
- Product category: control and power distribution.
Smart Junction Box (SJB) integrates passive junction box features with electronic module functionality. It uses microcontroller based technology to switch power and control vehicle body functions. SJB technology utilizes a total systems approach by optimizing and integrating control and power distribution functions into a single module.
SJB replaces relays and fuses with solid state electronic drivers. These self-protecting devices improve quality and eliminate the need to service fuses and relays. SJB technology reduces weight and packaging size up to 80%.
The engineered SJB from 2005 to 2009 consisted in combinations of electronic blocks of MCU, DC/DC converters, linear regulator, smart FETs, BJTs, CAN transceivers, etc. With single or multiple PCBs. And in any case the design had to pass very strict testing requirements defined by the OEMs and international standards.